Friday, May 20, 2011

It's complicated.


I am at the embassy, waiting for the white lady to call me to submit my passport for my immigrant visa. 

'IV65', she calls.

I stand up to meet her, 

'Hello ma'am, your DNA does not match your fathers DNA'. 

I feel like slapping the lady, at the same time I am lost in thoughts ‘Like really? My fathers' DNA does not match mine? How na? There must be a mistake somewhere jor.’ I ask the lady if there is a mix-up somewhere, and she confirms her report is straight from the Homeland Security in U.S.A. She advised that I come with my father next time for a second test. I leave in utter shock. ‘Never, daddy is my daddy. No way!’

I call mum and dad, telling them there is a problem I could not explain on the phone. I get home, head straight to my room where I cry my eyes out of their socket. To me, my world was crashing right before me in ways I couldn’t fathom. Mum and dad barge into my room, asking what the problem was. I finally gather the strength in between sobs to tell them what I was told at the embassy. Dad stands up and looks at mum with so much fury, saying 'Sweetheart, you have some explanations to do' I tell them that it's definitely a mistake.

Otunba Tunji called to let me know he was in town, he noticed I was down and asked me what the problem was. I told him, he said that was a small issue and he would link me up with his friends in the Embassy. It just clicked that I had some top-dog aristos a.k.a sugar daddies that I could call. I started calling them; Chief Obi gave me someone's number at the embassy that I could contact. Alhaji Bukola told me to come and collect a note from him, which I did. I went to see Otunba Tunji the next day at his place, as usual we had fun. After which, he made some calls on my behalf and gave me some contacts to get in touch with.

Α month later, dad and I went for the DNA test; I had called every single contact I got from my sugar-daddies before going for the test. We went to the hospital and did the DNA test again. Within two months, I received a call asking me to come for an interview at the embassy. I was so happy that I called all my sugar-daddies to thank them.

At the embassy, I was shining my 32 teeth; so happy that I would finally get to see my younger ones. My number was called and I went to meet the lady. 

'Ma'am your DNA does not match this man's DNA’. I told her to repeat what she just said because it was like all I heard her speak was in Greek. I thanked her and left. I didn't call anyone. While I was driving home, I remembered one part in our high school slum book that said: ‘If you find out that the Father you always lived with is not your father, what you will do?’ .I have spent 26years of my life with this lovely father of mine and I can't imagine living with someone else…
When I got home I saw mum and dad in the living room, mum was crying. I asked what happened and dad told me to sit down, mum said ‘my love, daddy is not your daddy’. I said ‘It’s a lie. I have heard but I do not believe’. I ran to my room crying, I started throwing up and my temperature was high.
Mum and dad came to wake me up the next morning; they said they were sorry for what I was going through. I told them I was feeling sick and I want to see a doctor. I went to the hospital and did some test. When I got home, I asked mum who my so-called real dad was. She said she will tell me when I am a lot better.
I went to the hospital the next day to get my result, I found out I was pregnant. ‘For who?’ was what I was pondering. I could not tell mum and dad what my result had confirmed. I just told them it was not ready. In my room, I pondered who impregnated me, could it be my aristo’s or Dele I had a quickie with at the club last month.  I slept off while pondering. My phone woke me up it was Chief Obi calling; he wanted to see me that night. I told him I couldn’t make it because I was not feeling too well.
In room I pondered, ‘should I have an abortion? No ooooooo, what if I die nkan. Ok, let me just take the bold step and tell mum and dad. Who will I tell them impregnated me?’ As I was pondering mum came to my room to tell me that my so-called real dad was in the living room. To my surprise, who did I see…
I woke up and found myself in the hospital, mum, dad and my so-called real dad who also happens to be my sugar daddy, Otunba Tunji, crying by my bedside. Tears were flowing down my eyes, I couldn’t tell them what was making me cry. I struggled so hard to smile but tears still kept flowing but this time faster than before. I was screaming and wailing, I just wanted to give up the ghost; I wanted the floor to swallow me, I couldn’t look at my parents. I was thinking ‘How will I tell them that I was pregnant for my so-called real dad, who also happens to be my sugar-daddy.’
Everyone left me alone with mum; she hugged me and told me I will be fine. I told her she will not understand. I closed my eyes and told mum I was pregnant, she said she knew. I hugged her so tight and whispered to her ears ‘I’m pregnant for Otunba Tunji’. She pushed me away and gave me a dirty slap. ‘How could you? How did it happen? No, no.’ that was all she said as she walked out of my hospital room.
I sit on my bed with my fingers in my mouth. I said to myself ‘What did I put myself into? Am I about to make the same mistake my mother made 26years ago? No way, I will never lie to my child, but how will I tell my child that my father is also her father. The only way to end this question is to abort this child but I will be killing a soul that may grow up to be a president or princess. I am going to abort this baby and that is it. No turning back, I’m only saving us from a worse future scenario.’


A Great man once said: Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. I have learnt from my mistake and I hope you learn from mine.

3 comments:

  1. This is more than complicated.....Guess we all shud learn from this....A single lie could destroy a future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true,the truth is better told...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haba,why did she abort the child?She jus killed a soul.

    ReplyDelete