Sunday, February 5, 2012

My parents' Choice? My Choice? (Part 2)

’Will you marry me Enitan?’I was dazed.
I remembered how Yemi and I rehearsed for our proposal day, how he will go on his knees, and I will scream and jump on him. I asked myself ‘Do I really want to get married to a guy I barely know? Am I ready for commitment with Ali? Am I ready to marry a guy that is not Yemi?’ If I should say yes it would mean that Yemi and I would never ever be together. I looked to my left, I saw my father smiling. It had been ages since I saw my father smile at me. I decided to say yes because my father was happy with Ali. Deep in my heart I was weeping, all these years I had waited for Yemi’s proposal, but I got Alis’. Don’t get me wrong, Ali is a nice guy. He is cool, he is calm and he has a great sense of humor. The only problem I had was, I didn’t know him well enough, and I was not ready to come to terms with the fact that I will be spending the rest of my life with a guy other than Yemi.

When I said YES, my father jumped with so much joy. He hugged Ali and I, you need to have seen him, he was so happy, there was excitement written all over his face.  He started making some phone calls; it was obvious he has started planning the wedding. My mum took me to my room; she could see the pain in my eyes. She asked me ‘Do you want do to this? Are you ready for this journey?’ It then dawned on me that I was truly going on a journey, a journey of no return. There was no point changing my mind, I didn’t want to turn my father’s happiness to sadness.

Ali and I got married in a grand way, when I say grand I mean GRAND. As the only girl, my father made sure the wedding was the talk of town. It was a big wedding I must say. Yemi sent me a gift, I smiled when I saw his note saying ’Happy Married Life Caramel’ Yemi calls me caramel because I call him honey, a nickname we gave ourselves. I replied saying thank you honey. I miss him.

Ali and I went for our honeymoon in Dubai; we didn’t look like newlyweds because we were not acting like one. We only took pictures, we didn’t even make love. Well, we made love the day we were leaving Dubai, it was not all that compared to when Yemi and I make love. Our honeymoon ended well though.

Weeks after our honeymoon, Ali and I started behaving like strangers. We don’t really talk; we didn’t make love since our honeymoon. Anytime I trying caressing Ali, he shoves my hand and says he wants to rest or he is tired. I thought to myself he could be tired, at least we are going to spend the rest of our lives together, so why the rush.

I forgot a case file I needed for a meeting at home, so I had to rush back home. On getting home, the doors were locked. I opened the doors took my file and as I was heading out, I remembered I didn’t turn off the Air conditioner. I opened the room door; to my surprise who did I see.  Ali was having sex with another man on our matrimonial bed. Ali was GAY!

I woke up in the hospital, my parents and Ali were by my side. The nurse came to inform me I was pregnant. My parents were so happy; they were praying and doing all sorts. I told my parents to please excuse Ali and I. Ali was begging me, he was crying. He told me he was gay, he married me because he didn’t want people to ask questions. I started fixing the patches from the day I met Ali, the signs were glaring. I remembered the day we made love on our honeymoon; Ali wanted to make love through the anus. We argued about it, but later made love through the vagina. No wonder it sucked. The puzzle had been fixed, Ali was gay. All I felt that moment was hatred for Ali, I was Pro-Gay but I couldn’t stand Ali. I use to fight for homosexuals, but never imagined I will be married to one. I didn’t know how to break the sad and shocking news to my parents. Well, they made this choice for me, so they must find a solution for me.

I called in my parents, told them how grateful I was for them ruining my life, and how horrible the choice they made for me was. I thought to myself I am an adult I could have made my own choice, but why did I follow my parents choice. I was blinded with the love I had for my parents, I didn’t want them to hate me. I wanted them to love me like they always did. Now I hate my parents, I didn’t even want to see them. My mum was crying, she couldn’t find the right word to say. She was blaming my father for his egocentric religious beliefs.

I went back to my parents’ house, I couldn’t tell my friends, family the reason why I left Ali. Ali should do the explanation himself, I am not ready for people to feel pity for me whatsoever. I decided to keep the baby; I cannot hurt a little innocent soul. I am currently filling for divorce; I was married for only 3 month. I never imagined my marriage could be this brief, my idea of marriage was for a lifetime.

I found out Yemi is still single, but how will I face him or his family. I know deeply well Yemi still loves me, but I don’t think I will ever forgive myself for how badly my parents and I behaved to him. If I could I reverse the hands of time, I would have disobeyed my parents marry Yemi and be happily married. They say experience is the best teacher, life taught me the hard way. One thing I learnt from my experience is ‘Follow your heart’. Forget traditions, culture, and parents’ choices; make your own choice. Because the life you would be saving is yours!

3 comments:

  1. Nice piece, btw ,u've got a lovely blog
    pls, i would love us to follow each other and be blog friends!!!
    www.somewhereinmoscow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing.
    But may I give you somethings special, friends?
    You sould to try it.
    HERE

    ReplyDelete